Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Stepmother Trouble

Evil Stepmothers!

I was talking to my friend yesterday. We were talking about image. For example, stepmothers have a horrible image in the media. The truth is, I'm an evil stepmother. If you talk to The First, she'd make a long list of everything I do wrong for Paprika and Pepper. In fact, I received an email recently on why Paprika hates me; written from The First's perspective.

However, if you talk to Mr. Morton, I'm the perfect stepmother. I do and say everything according the the great book of mother rules. In his eyes, there is little I could improve. At least, this is what he responded back to me when I forwarded The First's perceptions.

What I decided to do, sit down with Paprika and talk to her about our relationship. She does not think I'm evil nor does she think I'm perfect. In fact, she referred to my logic as flawed. We talked about where I could improve and where she could improve to make things better. All in all, I felt much better after talking to her.

Yet the truth is, I am an evil stepmother. The bigger truth, I am doing a pretty good job at this parenting thing.

No comments: